Not everyone’s needs are not the same. It is best to consult with your agent to help assess your needs and find the insurance policy that is right for you. We do not insure homes solely in Claysburg, DuBois, and Indiana. We will help you find a policy to cover your home whether you live in Altoona, Sykesville, Clymer or any other towns surrounding our locations that you call home.
What is Homeowners insurance?
Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against losses and damage to your home and the contents inside. It also covers liability or legal responsibility for any injuries or property damage you or members of your family cause to other people.
Some excluded disasters are floods and poor maintenance. Flood and earthquake coverage must be bough separately or endorsed on the policy. Maintenance-related problems are the homeowners’ responsibility.
Why do you need homeowners’ insurance?
It is really all about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home or possessions. That’s important because chances are your home is likely one of your largest investments.
- You will need money to repair or replace your home damaged by fire or natural disaster.
- Liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses for injured guests.
- If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent
Here are few things to discuss with your agent that will influence your decisions:
- How much will it cost to rebuild my house if it is damaged or destroyed? Agents use a cost guide program to estimate rebuilding homes from scratch. Agents will ask you for things like, “What is the square footage of your home? What type of siding do you have? How many bathrooms do you have? Do you have carpet or tile, etc.? The more information they have, the more accurately your home of your home will be insured for.
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for paying claims fairly and promptly? The stronger the financial rating of an insurance company, the more likely it is to be around when you need it the most. For example, an A rated carrier will not experience financial failure in uncertain and trying times and be able to cover your claims as you expect them to. We use quality carriers rated A or higher.
- What discounts are available? Multiple policies with the same carrier receive a discount. Adding auto and life insurance policies is an example of how to get that discount. Homes protected by a security system or any smart devices are worth mentioning.
- What’s the process for filing and settling a claim? Claims may be filed on the internet, over the phone, or in person at your agents office. Be prepared to provide the claim date, what happened, what was damaged or who was harmed.
It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. It is always important to read your policy so you know exactly what’s included and what is not. Call us today at 800-689-8887 to talk about what is covered.